Dad Joke Friday!


Eclipse it!

Dad Joke Friday has been a staple in my classroom since my first year of teaching. It gives a fun start to each class and helps students focus their energy and build community. Starting at a new school this year I wanted to keep this going and include it in my SEL design plan.

What?
Telling a "dad" joke, or simple, clean, somewhat dumb joke and writing the question part on the board each Friday. To get students' attention I tell the joke and have students guess the punchline. When they're tired of guessing the punchline, I'll give it to them. I usually get some groans and forced fake laughs.

So what?
Doing something this trivial really does help build community. I have students guessing the punchline as soon as they walk in the door. I also think it helps build routine and eases students into the weekend.

Now what?
I was absent last Friday due to illness and my students told me they were sad they didn't have a joke! I'm going to continue doing this throughout the year.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Highs and Lows