The Importance of Movement

During my MB6 time, I've seen a lot of focus on movement for younger kids, but not so much for middle- and high school aged students. I think this aspect of teaching is just as important in the upper grades. During our 75 minute block periods, I rarely have students sitting at the oval Harkness table for the entire time. My 11th grade students are in the routine of writing their historical ID's and vocabulary from their reading on the board during the first half of class (kids love writing on the board!). My 10th grade students usually have at least one group research/conversation aspect each class. These students are in the routine of going out to another part of the floor and coming back at a certain time. I've found that this also helps them take ownership of their learning.
If we don't have a natural break and time to move around, I notice my students are much more likely to be disengaged with material and myself. I might even try some Go-Noodle videos to get them moving, though I know they're aimed at much younger students!
Image result for kid movement

Comments

  1. Olivia, I love that you considered the gravity we place on giving younger students movement breaks, but admittedly push past the importance of it for our older learners. Likely the importance of content and curriculum inevitably take precedence.
    I like that you are aware and conscious of the difference in your students when you give them breaks and movement vs when you don’t. I too, try to notice this as well. During math for example, I’ll even just have my students stand up with their white boards in the their hands and do a “Walk and Solve” so that they can just move even for just a minute. It makes a world of difference and you can just see that they appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Highs and Lows