Navigating Diversity in the Holiday Season

In history we always refer back to two big themes: the dominant and absent narrative. These are especially apparent not only throughout a historical lens with racial, ethnic, economic, and religious oppression and dominance, but in 2018 around a touchy season of holidays.
Plain and simple, I grew up Catholic--went to Catholic school since I could hold my own head up, and continue through SMUMN. I've never attended an institution that was not Catholic. I even spent my first two years teaching at a Catholic school. Growing up in St. Paul, I grew up thinking of it as the dominant narrative. Boy, was I wrong. I didn't realize how many of my traditions and beliefs were in the minority! Now teaching at SPA and previously teaching at Eagan, I realize that my dominant narrative is most people's absent one.
Teaching and attending Catholic school, I celebrated Christmas with abandon. I turned on music whenever possible in my classroom, and said prayers of gratitude at the start of each class during the Advent season.
When I moved to Eagan, I was not allowed to mention any holidays, though many of my students celebrated Christmas, and very few, Hanukkah.
Here at SPA, diversity is almost over celebrated! I'm not saying that I don't value it, but it's become ingrained in the school's holidays and celebrations. I went to my very first Hanukkah party and had my first latkes last week! However, I did face some backlash from a class for which I was subbing because they didn't want to go to the Hanukkah party because "they weren't Jewish". Though I stated I was Catholic and would still be attending, some of their brains were stuck in the mode of not celebrating holidays that don't "belong" to them. I find it such a tough balance, because though I want to support my students and their beliefs and holidays, I find myself being a minority at the Hanukkah party or the Muslim student alliance. I've never felt as though I was the absent narrative, and it's a refreshing and uncomfortable experience. Even at our holiday sweater party, I noticed Rachel T was the only person celebrating Hanukkah, and I felt her Jewish pride through her sweater and love of Dreidel Song that we picked as our SAGA song.
Right now, I'm playing my Spotify "Holiday Hits" playlist, and I'm waiting for the moment my Hindu office mate walks in so I can turn it off :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Highs and Lows